Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"Parking Wars!"

If anything should scare you about getting parking tickets in Philadelphia - This show will! First of all I can't get over the fact that this show is only using Philadelphia - do we really have THAT much of a parking problem that they don't have to highlight other areas as well?

First my own experience with the Philadelphia Parking Authority -I have never gotten my car booted BUT I did have some rather horrendous experiences with getting tickets!

This was a few years back but once I was going to school in Center City and I decided to park my car along Walnut Street! When I returned to drive home I found that my car was gone - I thought it was stolen! I came to find out that first it was ticketed and then and then it was towed to the tow "place". Well I first had to find out where the towing place was - it way far out somewhere - and I had to take the bus to get there! Once I did get there there was something like $200 I had to pay! Well I decided there and then that I was never going to get another parking ticket again! That scared me enough to NEVER get another parking ticket again!

Another time (again a few years back) I got an $80 speeding ticket! So suffice it to say that I don't speed any more!

Well back to the show - Parking Wars - It sorely reminded me why I avoid getting any kind of ticket or anything like that again. First of all people have to wait in line forever - a lot of them had to take off from work to get down there and they are not to happy to begin with!

Another thing is that a lot of people are there because they either don't have or they have expired paperwork like their drivers' license and/or registration and/or their car insurance has lapsed (or they have let their car insurance expire). (So as much as I grumble about having to pay that stuff I know its better to pay it than to get caught without it!)

As you can guess a lot of these people are NOT happy at having their car ticketed, booted or towed away! A lot of the people got into this situation because they have a lot of unpaid parking tickets. One woman got her car towed because her registration had expired. She had to go to court and get a paper releasing her vehicle, then she had to go back to the parking authority to get her car only to find out that she had to hire a towing service to remove her car!

It's just enough to make you want to scream (and some of them did!)

I kind of feel sorry for some of the Philadelphia Parking Authority staff because they take a lot of abuse from the people!

But if anything will scare you straight about getting a parking ticket - then this show should definitely do it!

No comments: