Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The "Death" Of A Beloved Radio Station!

Imagine my shock when I turned on to get one of my favorite radio stations - WHAT - only to find out that there was another format playing!

It seems WHAT has been bought! For those of you not familiar with the station it was a local community talk station that discussed important issues in the Philadelphia area. Probably the most famous host there was Mary Mason. She was also a bit of a controversial radio host.

It seems the station had trouble keeping up financially and that was the reason why it was sold. So far I think that the only alternative station is WURD which is 900AM. This is also a talk show radio station about important community issues in the Philadelphia area. I have had a chance to listen to this station and it is pretty good although I know that they need more sponsorship and advertisers so that they won't go the same way that WHAT did. I also believe that you can listen to them online as well (although I not absolutely sure).

We have gone through so many radio station changes! I believe the first one was when WWDB - also a talk station - changed its format. Then another one of my favorite radio stations - WJJZ - changed its format. But now I have come to find out that WJJZ has moved a little "up" the dial so I can still listen to them and their "smooth jazz" format.

It will be interesting to see where Mary Mason turns up and I do miss some of the other hosts like "Mr Midday" - but he does have a myspace site.

So the number of "my favorite" stations are decreasing. I do know that there is an internet radio station called LaMott Radio which is near where I live and there are a number of other Philadelphia-related internet stations online that I have to find out more about.

No comments: